hearts

Sunday, July 15, 2012

... To a Wonderful Man

My Grandpa passed away yesterday evening. He is a wonderful man and will be greatly missed. Although it is very sad and my eyes fill up with tears whenever I think of him we are so grateful he is now made whole and with the rest of our family on the other side. He has suffered so much the last few years that I am grateful that he is in a better place.
I wanted to share a few of the wonderful memories that I have had with him the last few days so that I don't forget them.
On Sunday July 8th we didn't think he was going to make it. His heart rate was at a 39 which is so so low. His speech, although it has diminished over the last year, was almost gone. He could only say a few words. My called all of the family to tell them that grandpa wouldn't make it much longer and we needed to come say our goodbyes. My family all got there as soon as we could and spent most of the day there. We went in to tell him goodbye which was very hard to do. I was already really nervous to go see him but I am so grateful that I did. He held each of our hands and told us that he loved us and then he asked where Chase was. He has had the worst memory for the last year and for him to remember our brother that is on his mission and left a year ago was so wonderful. We were all in tears at this time. We knew at that time that my grandpa was more aware that we thought. It brought me such comfort to know that he really did remember me and he truly loved me. A few hours later my dad, husband and brother-in-law gave him a blessing to be a peace and to return to his father in heaven. It was a spiritual moment. The whole family was gathered together around his bed side and my dad gave him a wonderful blessing. One of the things he promised my Grandpa was that Grandma would be taken care of when he was gone. Before the blessing ended I opened my eyes to look at my grandpa. He had pulled one of my dad's hands away from his head and held it in his. When the blessing was over the look on my grandpa's face was of gratitude, peace and relief. My dad later told us that as soon as he told grandpa that grandma would be taken care of while he was gone grandpa's body relaxed. He knew that was something that grandpa needed to hear. I will never forget the look on grandpa's face. It was so reassuring to me that he was going to a better place. My heart felt peace after that.
On Friday I went over with my dad to visit grandpa again. He was doing worse and his speech was gone. He mumbled but no one could understand him. He was restless and nothing was calming him down. He kept reaching and pointing and trying to pull himself up. It was hard to watch because nothing could calm him down. Among all of the thorns I was able to see a beautiful rose. My grandma who had been sitting by his side got up and held his hand and guess what grandpa did. He leaned up to give her a kiss. It was so so Adorable!!! Although in pain and not able to communicate with us he still had compassion! What a blessing for me to see. He loves my grandma dearly! It was just what I needed to see. I love my husband dearly and I look forward to having that kind of love when I am 88!!! After a few doses of medicine he still hadn't calmed down so my dad gave him a blessing to calm down. He told him in the blessing that he would still be able to watch over all of us on earth and although we wouldn't be able to see him, he would be able to see us and see what we were all doing. I love the priesthood! What a wonderful blessing in our lives that we sometimes take for granted. We turned out the lights and closed the door and I stayed in the room to watch him and make sure he fell asleep. after 10 min he finally fell asleep. I was so grateful that I was able to spend some time with him. Although no words were expressed and he didn't know I was in there it was a great time that I spent with him.
On Saturday July 14 he passed way around 8:30 pm. There had been family in and out all week and they finally decided to just leave him be for a while. It was just my dad and grandma with him. My dad was by his side when he passed and I can't think of a better person to be by his side at that moment. My dad and my mom have taken such great and constant care of my grandparents for the last 6 years. My dad has been at his side every second he could be there and with his work being at home and so flexible the last two years he has been able to drop everything and run over to their assisted living center and help with anything. My dad has truly been blessed to spend so much time with him and my dad recognizes it and is so very grateful for the last few years with his dad.
Although he will be missed he will never be forgotten and he will always be with us! Thank you grandpa for raising such a great son who has become a wonderful father to me.

I love you and miss you Grandpa and look forward to the day that we will all be united as a family in Heaven!